Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Stephen Starr

I understand that reviews may be mixed when it comes to the efforts that Stephen Starr is undertaking to help fill a widening funding gap affecting Philadelphia's puboic schools.

On one side of the fence, those of us who believe that public schools should be fully funded by public, and therefore accountable, tax dollars, period! With public dollars going to support our public schools, our schools cannot be subject to or bought by private enterprise nor succomb to private impropriety. I get that. I can't say that I disagree!

On the other side of the fence, those of us who believe that there may not be any significant increase in state or local money streaming in to our cash strapped district. Therefore, if a private enterprise wants to raise funds and award grants or purchase labs and equipment for struggling schools while the 'grown ups' in City Council and Harrisburg fuss and fight, then let them! I understand that point as well. I cannot say I disagree!

All I want to say is, thank you!
When someone does something nice for you, you ought to say thank you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment