Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

I MUST be tough!

I'll be moving to a different section of the city soon. Today, as I met with the leasing agent, she noticed that I was a teacher. When it came out that I was a 5th grade teacher in our city's public schools, her response? "Oh you MUST be tough huh?"

I didn't take offense at all in the least bit! I chuckled and said, "you better know it! I have to be!"

I firmly believe that public school teachers anywhere, especially in urban areas, are THE toughest in the profession! Those of us who remain for a number of years, our skin MUST be made of teflon!!

We get attacked by politicians, demonized by philanthropies, unappreciated by some parents, harrassed by many students, frequently observed by some "out to get you" principals, yet we STILL come to work every day! Some would call that crazy! I call it dedicated! Years of dedicated service and commitment to students and communities needs to be celebrated, paid well, and not considered dead weight!!!

Yup, we MUST be tough!

No comments:

Post a Comment