Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, December 23, 2013

Inspired by Booker T. Washington

Shamefully, I admit that until this past Saturday, I had not read the autobiography of Booker T. Washington. So this past Saturday I started and completed, Up From Slavery: An Autobiography, Washington's life story. To finish the autobiography in a day isn't as daunting as it sounds, block out a couple of hours and wham...done!

"Inspired" doesn't even begin to capture how I felt all while reading the book!!! It was uplifting, encouraging, and just--------I don't know---------I'm stumped for words!

To read of his hard work, tireless determination, and awe-inspiring journey to become the best possible teacher, mentor, and father figure he could be, it really hit home!

As I read, I saw myself a few times in Booker T. Washington. I've long held the philosophy that I teach reading, writing, and life to my students. Infusing my little life-talks, and life's little truths every now and then during the day is the norm.

Some years after graduating and on one of his visits back to John B. Kelly, one former student said to me, "Mr. Flemming, I miss those little talks you'd give us."

Booker T. Washington:
"When the hotel season ended, I returned to Malden and taught in the town's black school. I began work at 8 a.m. and it usually continued until 10 p.m. In addition to teaching standard academic content, I taught the pupils how to comb their hair, use a toothbrush, and keep their clothing, hands, and faces clean."

I've never worked in a hotel, but upon graduating college, I decided to stay and teach here in Philadelphia, and in what happens to be a predominately black school. Sometimes my days start at 6:20am AT school and at times ends at 5:00pm, AT school!

In addition to anthologies, DVDs, and novels, maps, globes, and folders, I have kept bars of soap, lotion, a brush, and small deodorant bottles in a cabinet. "Yo bruh man, Mr. Johnny (pseudonym) sir, come here." {whispering to him} "When the class leaves, there's a bottle of lotion in that cabinet, use it," I'd say emphatically.  "If you have to come out of the house with your mouth and face ashy, just come to 105, open up the cabinet and lotion your face. Don't walk around like that any more, you hear me?"

Reading Mr. Washington's autobiography, gave me a little more pep in my step, more expresso in my coffee, and more gas in the tank to continue a little while longer on this journey, to run on ahead to see what the end's gonna be!

(This winter break is gonna do that too!! Believe that!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment