Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Biogaphy of Jackie Robinson

A few moments ago I completed one biography of Jackie Robinson, Jackie Robinson: An American Hero by Anne Schraff. This particular biography is written for middle school-level students.

Up until now, I had never sat and read a biography on this great man, Jackie Robinson.  I had learned only tidbits of information on him while in school. So as an adult, I'm choosing to read up on him and others, not just for personal information's sake, but also in preparation to expose my current 5th grade students to pioneers and leaders who are/were of African American descent.

This particular biography, which I purchased through www.townsendpress.com for $1, explores the life of Robinson with just the right amount of information and at just the right pace for students in upper elementary and middle school or even high school. I'm an adult and I learned quite a bit from reading this particular biography.

I did not know that Jackie Robinson was quite skilled at a few sports. In school, we knew him just as a baseball great.

I did not know that he and his wife had a son who struggled with a drug addiction and some personality struggles.

Furthermore, I learned that Jackie Robinson considered himself a liberal Republican and often worked, politically,  on behalf of the Republican party at a time when most African Americans identified with the Democrats.

I enjoyed learning about Jackie Robinson in greater detail than what was covered in school, during Black History Month. As a result of reading this particular version of his biography, I'm inspired to read other versions.

The author of this particular biography, Anne Schraff, has authored several books geared toward adolescence that do not disappoint. For those who enjoy reading realistic fiction, the plots of which draw readers into the often unstable and complicated world of the American teenager, Schraff along with author Paul Langan, both do a phenomenal job of satiated that desire!

No comments:

Post a Comment