Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Drake vs. Drake

As a Social Studies and Science teacher, I try my very best to make the content meaningful, challenging, and interesting! Today as I was teaching and as they were learning about early English pirates/sea dogs, we came across the name Drake.

Once we got to that slide, I flashed this picture on the smart board.

The girls in one of the classes, literally went ballistic, as if Mr. Drake himself was going to come through the screen. That picture was then followed by an "x" through it and the statement, "not that Drake, but this one..." Sir Francis Drake, Queen Elisabeth's top "dog" (literally, they were called sea dogs, for those who didn't know)

This "fluke" of the Drakes, while a small diversion, changed the pace a bit of a terse review of what the students themselves had actually presented to the class the week prior.

Make it fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment