Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, September 30, 2013

Can THEY do this?

In my head, in front of the class, on the spot....I'd like to see politicians do this type of thinking in front of 30 5th graders, all while maintaining order, answering the class phone, and looking at a kid trying to sneak a snack!!!

"Okay, that lesson on the old East-West trade routes and the Turks' capture of Constantinople went better than I thought! The kids were engaged. We had a bit of fun while learning! I acted a complete nut just now, but it was for the good!! Thank God for Google Earth and this SMART board that my principal a few years ago purchased when there seemed to be a little bit of excess! I wanted to do a 45-minute/45-minute split of Social Studies and Science. So since this lesson went well, the kids were engaged and I can tell they are learning based on the use of slates and dry erase marker responses, I'll just keep going with this. At the '30 minutes' left mark of the Science/Social Studies block, I'll abbreviate what I was going to do and hit a major point or two, since I already planned to extend the Science block this Thursday and Friday anyway. I'll explain the entomology research project to them, take questions, then end the class. I'll put off the reading of this mini-article on predators until tomorrow."

"Okay, everybody, here's the question I want you to answer on your slates, what types of goods were..."


No comments:

Post a Comment