Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, June 11, 2011

0:00

Growing up watching sports with my father, there was one lesson he taught my brothers and me and that was to never get too happy before the triple zeros. The home team, be it the Philadelphia Eagles, the 76ers, the Phillies, or Flyers could be blowing out the opponent, but never get too excited before the clock runs out. The logic? Anything could happen. This was and is especially true of our beloved Eagles! But I digress.

As this school year began, I was well aware that as an entire class, this group of students struggled academically. But my passion and drive to see them succeed drove me to work extra hard to give them the best education that I could give them. Looking at PSSA scores and percentages, one would think that I sat on my fannie all year long and did absolutely nothing! However, I am increasingly coming to realize that students are more than just statics and numbers. Progress in the lives of youth cannot be measured with a calculator and cannot be crunched into excel spreadsheets.

I think of several students with whom I had the privilege of working and being their homeroom teacher. Some of whom raised Cain every year they've been in school. I think of many comments that were made that I had quite the "doozie" of a homeroom. Then I think of how many of the rough edges of these children were made smooth. I consider the fact that the words "Good Morning" are a part of their everyday vocabulary. I ponder the fact that "have a good afternoon Mr. Flemming" is second nature to once hardened "thugs" and "criminals". I reflect on the fact that many of the young men in my class now have a deeper respect and fondness for and treat our young ladies as gentleman should.

I consider the comment of one who said and I quote, "Mr. Flemming, I only got suspended four times this year." This is a dramatic reduction from eleven last year. I think of the comment made by one student who returned from the bathroom and informed me and I quote again, "Mr. Flemming, there is fecal matter and urine all over the floor."

When I with mixed emotions think of one student who said, "Mr. Flemming you're the last one I have left to look up to," I reiterate my claim that progress cannot be measured just in numbers and percentages. So while test scores look bleak and abysmal, each and everyone of my dear students has a new found confidence that will carry them through the next several years of their lives!

It is important to note that many of the students have made significant individual gains! There is still much work to be done! I have a week of teaching left before I bid my children adieu! We're going strong. I teach until the last day of school! So batten down the hatches, we are in for one more week of "Flem Flem awww krazy"!

Success is my only option! Point blank!

No comments:

Post a Comment