Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, April 9, 2020

COVID-19: *Update* on The View from Prison

A few days ago I blogged about a brother I know who is incarcerated. He had some concerns about the spread of coronavirus inside of the facility where he is located. Tonight, I wanted to see how he was doing. Here's the unedited text of the email I saw waiting for me.

Hey unk I need some help with this corona pandemic. Is there anyway you can reach out to the news or cnn on my behalf? There are alot of confirmed cases, they are keeping them housed in the main building, they are not doing anything to test us to seperate the sick from the healthy, they are not providing us with mask, and its always an issue when we want to come out of our cells for hot water. They limited our recreation privelages which doesnt allow everyone to go out. They said that they are trying to enforce social distancing but the yard is big enough to allow us to have our recreation time and still practice social distancing. When need a voice out there. I am at East Jersey State Prison in Rahway NJ. The name that you can use for your inside source is AD...I wish there was a way for us to contact the govenors office but theres not a way for us to do so. So can you please look into a way to help. Thanks for everything. I will hit you up in a couple of days...

Disturbing.

According to New Jersey's own Department of Corrections, COVID-19 website, this facility has the 3rd highest number of prison employees who are infected and ties with another prison for the 3rd highest number of inmates who are infected. AD's concerns are real and he has every right to be apprehensive.

Dear Governor Murphy,
I know you have a lot on your plate, but on behalf of AD and those with him, can you please do just a little more?

Sincerely,
Unk, AD, and the rest of the brothas

No comments:

Post a Comment