Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Working with Adjudicated Youth, Part 5: The Connections

To reiterate what’s already been posted, this summer I was an English teacher for a program that served adjudicated youth. I’ve recalled the experiences in various "parts" which are available for you to read in the list of posts for August, 2015 all beginning with “Working with Adjudicated Youth…”

I believe excellent teachers are those who not only have book knowledge, but also those who are able to make and sustain, to some degree, connections with his/her students. I strive to be an excellent teacher, because each student I teach, deserves one!

This summer was no exception. Early on as I was still figuring out how this would work and testing the waters, we read a poem that my middle school kids of yester-year enjoyed. It wasn’t anything African-American related, but was on another “cool” topic, BUGS!!! The poem is titled, “Insect Logic”. We read it. Later I rapped it to their beats! We had a blast. I followed up a couple of days later by bringing in my class pets, four Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches!

Pics of our pets in my regular classroom (top) and at my home (bottom)

(((BAM))) A connection!! One kid was really looking forward to seeing them and another wished to God that I wouldn’t bring them! But all were at least curious and talking about these….roaches!

On the day I brought them in, the one kid who was looking forward to seeing them went all in! Opening the enclosure, he picked one up and handled it, observed it, and really wanted to engage in a conversation about it (them). The other hard core, macho, “thugs” cowered before the insects. They’re here for serious crimes but are squeamish around the class pets! LOL!!! I wish I could’ve take a picture of the reactions, of the hiding behind the teacher, of the “ayo dawg, put that jawn back in the jawn yo! They tryna sleep! They come out a night!” That was a good day!

UNfortunately, the kid who didn’t want to see them was due in court and was absent from class. Upon returning the next day and finding out that he missed out on the visitors, “Yoooo, I’m so *%&^ glad I wasn’t here yo!! NOW ole ‘head, can’t get me!”

I brought them back the next day.
He was there the next day.
He would have NOTHING to do with me!!!! LOL!!!!
Me, “NOW young bol, GOTCHU!!” lol

In addition to the bugs, I found that whenever they were a bit obnoxious on a particular day and I was determined to teach the few who were attentive, the discussions on Black History brought them right back in. Let me set up the scene. There may have been 9 or 10 in the class. 7 may have been in their bag that day. The 3 who wanted me to teach would be attentive and I would teach. The 7 would slowly come around to either calming down and doodling or even listening and contributing to the conversations, the writing, the film or whatever! I noticed that more than once.

It’s important to note that while the experience was new to me, I didn’t really take TOO much offense. They are in situations they probably really don’t want to be in. (The word "probably" is there for a reason.) And here comes a teacher who is insistent on teaching, in the summer, in their space, when some of them may not have sat in a classroom but a few times all year long. I get it. Which is why I had to constantly “reroute”, just like Siri. Establishing connections, and then new ones when new students came through (all. summer. long.), was the only way that I was going to be successful this past summer.

Previous Posts on Working with Adjudicated Youth (not advice, but my summer experience)
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4



No comments:

Post a Comment