Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Working with Adjudicated Youth: Part 2 - Teaching

Part 1 served more as an intro into the new teaching experience I had this summer, working in a juvenile facility with youth who allegedly committed various crimes---adjudicated youth.

You may have read in that prior post about how I quickly discovered that I would have free reign to design and teach, pretty much what I wanted. All of the lessons and the unit needed to be based on the PA Common Core (blah). I complied, submitting lesson plans weekly, a unit plan in the beginning of the summer and all of that jazz. Nothing came back disapproved, so I continued.

I titled the unit: African American Literature and History
Admittedly, I did not go in any kind of sequence or focus on a sharper theme. I tried to think of not-so-well-known-to-them facts/events/people for us to read about, discuss, etc.

Some of the topics:

  • The Watts riots (article and discussion)
  • Henry "Box" Brown (book and discussion)
  • Peaceful v. violent protests (discussion)
  • Ruby Bridges (discussion)
  • businesses and their "serving" of colored people - in the basement or out back
  • etc
Journal entries and discussions of quotes such as:
  • "The whole world opened to me when I learned to read." ~Mary McLeod Bethune
  • Why people riot (journal entry and discussion)
  • Letters to the 5 year old me
  • etc


Just some of the titles we read were:

  • Mother to Son by Langston Hughes (I remember a GREAT discussion we had with this and how they applied it to their own lives!!! Warmed all my teacher insides! Good stuff!)
  • Harlem by Langston Hughes
  • The Day I Ordered a Cup of Coffee by Franklin McCain (lunch counter protests)
  • etc


We also viewed and analyzed films in a way that the guys may never have analyzed or seen the films before. Films such as Amistad, Remember the Titans, The Blind Side, and The Butler. All were interested in the two football movies and contributed to the discussions. A few were interested in Amistad and The Butler. Those who were interested, did a great job of participating while the others slept.

Their summer project involved them developing questions about their top two rappers; questions about their life and questions about their music. The older ones seemed to like this better than the younger ones. I learned names I had never even heard of before. Lil Durk, PnB Rock among others.
(Listen, I'm more of a Gospel music/classical music guy. That's my flavor. But I listened, I researched. I learned. Intriguing.)

On my final day of teaching, the last day of the program, we talked about Baltimore, the death of Freddie Gray and the subsequent violence that followed. I was putting together a presentation that included pictures from the scenes as the looting and rioting occurred and on my trip down to Baltimore, this when the guys came in. I showed them my work in progress (90% complete, but complete enough, with music). This generated discussion and a continuation of our previous discussion on riots and why people do it.

So many great moments, they all cannot be captured here! They are some very intelligent boys and overall were great to work with. Many are very articulate and I had no preconceived notions otherwise. I didn't know what to expect, it was all new. (I hope you don't teach with preconceived notions about your students! I hope not!)

"Sir" "Mister" "Good morning" "Have a good afternoon". For some, this was how they spoke. For others, once they heard me use the terms, they adopted them as well.

There were some frustrating moments. Seriously. All guys. All believing they had street cred. All tough as nails. And each believing he had the biggest set. It comes with the territory and won't be the primary focus of my posts. (Although there was that one time that they saw the real Mr. Flemming, so much so it stunned one of the counselors. Two wanted to fight. Flem showed up, 6', 220lbs. Silence. Uhhh, the biggest set goes to....yup...)

lol

More to come...



No comments:

Post a Comment