Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, August 6, 2015

Working with Adjudicated Youth, Part 3: What THEY said

This past summer I had the opportunity and privilege to work with adjudicated youth.
You can read the first two parts of my little blog series Working with Adjudicated Youth. In these posts I'm not offering advice, just sharing my experience as a first time summer English teacher of adjudicated youth in a detention facility.


The following are some random things I either heard or were said to me directly.
They are random and I wrote them down as soon as I heard them. For some reason or another, I didn’t want to forget them.

“See, this is why I like football. You can take out all your anger!” (reaction while watching The Blind Side)

“But I am a n---“ (~Latin American young man)

“It’s almost like jail. It’s like slavery.” (reaction while watching Amistad)

“I got to read everything before I sign it.” (attendance sheet)

“I aint signing Mr. Flemming’s” “I don’t like him” (my attendance sheet)

“Can’t wait until the judge says ‘discharge’. Leaving and won’t turn back.”

“I can’t wait to show the judge.” (particular journal entry)

“I’m not colored.” (~Latin American young man)

“Mr. Flemming, can you take us outside?” (from a kid who gave me his butt to kiss all summer)

“He may seem like a nice guy, but he can get out his bag” (one counselor to another who hadn’t met me)

“Yeah, go home ole head.”

1st day
Kid: I’m not going to be here long
Me: Good!! I wish you all the best.
Kid: Thank you sir

“Yeah, I do be disrespectin him.” (kid, somewhat contrite, referring to me to a former student who was older than the rest of them and present on this day - more on him in a future post)

“Chill, he good folks, that’s my teacher from back in the day when I was a young bol.”
(former student referring to me while imparting knowledge to the younger teens and preteens)

“I like writing. It comes natural.”

“Yoo! You got The Bully?  That’s my favorite book! Have you read {other books in the Bluford series}?”


“I like {book title—I forget} by Walter Dean Myers.”

No comments:

Post a Comment