Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Made My Day

{Walking up 38th Street, toward the Wawa, young man walks up to me and shakes my hand. I give the "Oh Lawd, you're one of my alum from somewhere but you're grown up and I don't recognize your face" look}

Him: You had me at the Y

{I look at name tag then at his mom who was with him, spit out his last name then his whole name excitedly! I then proceed to not believe who I'm looking at and how grown he had gotten! We commence the inevitable small talk and realize there was a connection between another former student I had some years ago in public school}

This encounter really made my weekend, especially since he's doing well and hasn't been beat up by urban life and the struggles that come with being around so much foolishness!

Shout out to his mother who I recognized once o took a second look!! Mom dukes, you've done a great job!!

Shout out to him (I'll call him Bob). Shout out to you Bob for staying on the straight and narrow!!

If we have had the privilege of being in a teacher/student encounter (even if you were 7 and in the second grade 12 years ago) stop me! Say hi! Give me a few seconds and I'll spit out your first and last name too!

That really made my day!

No comments:

Post a Comment