Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, February 8, 2022

"I'm surprised you celebrate Black History Month"

That's what a newer student to the class recently said to me. My reply, nearly verbatim...

"Don't be! Have I just started talking up everything Black? That's the lens I teach from and that's not going away. Look around the room. This month was the brain child of a Black man and was originally a week. In the 70s, the month-long observance began. I do Black 24/7/365; February is razzle dazzle month! In fact, write this name down...Carter G. Woodson..."

No comments:

Post a Comment