Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, December 13, 2020

13th Read-In, a celebration of books-n-chill

For a 13th year now, I'm engaging my students in a pre-winter break Read In.* One student replied, "That's decent" when I first announced it year one! Boom! Onto something! They bring books, comics, and magazines. I bring hot chocolate, cookies, and some years, gifts.

Over the years, we've welcomed journalists from NBC 10 and KYW News Radio. We've also welcomed members of my family including my adult baby brother and my mother, former colleagues, Councilwoman Cindy Bass, and mentees who call me "Unk," two of whom are now teachers themselves.☺ (Black men in Philly's public schools, btw)

This celebration of "books-n-chill" continues in 2020! Yup. 2020. Students will still bring their books, comics, and magazines to our Zoom classroom. They'll all receive Dunkin Donuts gift cards a few days ahead of time for hot chocolate and donuts.

This year we even have a couple of extras planned including taking a class pic. On Zoom. They've had ample notice.📸 Also, this year we are excited to partner with two of Philly's elementary schools. A few of my students will be reading with students at both Pennell Elementary and Gideon Elementary!

On Tuesday, December 22nd, we invite you to grab a book, the paper, or a magazine, some hot chocolate and maybe a little snack and read as well. Our class time is from 10am-11:30. If you feel so inclined to chill with a book during that time, tag me on Twitter, @kellygrade6 with the title. No pressure. Just a thought.

*As a middle grades elementary school ELA teacher, I engaged the students in choice reading daily. Our annual Read-In was/is an extended time to read for enjoyment while sipping our hot chocolate and nibbling on our cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment