Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Black Boys and Their Durags: A Lesson for Teachers

My cousin and colleague in a neighboring district, Mrs. Malikah Upchurch, is out here schooling teachers on Black boys and their durags with this social media post right here. Read it. Then re-read it. Then pause before you whip out those pink slips, office disciplinary referrals, or whatever schools are calling them these days.
In her words... 
Random thought:

I need for everyone to understand how culturally significant durags are. Sure, they may look a little silly, but do you all understand just how important they are? I haven’t finished reading this most recent book yet, but the author wrote, “the little brown prince with a stocking cap for a crown.” I can appreciate the desire and determination to get “waves.” Whenever I’ve asked someone to remove their durag, it has only been to see their results and/or to clown them for not using product to support the process. ðŸ˜‚Like, when you really think about it, it’s a beautiful process and people feel accomplished when they reach the point where they can brag about their waves. That is an important part of being a black boy. I’m here it. Now that we know just how important they are, just consider what you’re about to say the next time you tell someone to remove it. I know you all feel like the children aren’t representing appropriately, and policy is policy, but first give props to that kid for their determination. My son isn’t even consistent enough in getting his waves. When a boy gets them, that’s a major event. Should be celebrated - a rite of passage! “Okay, I see you, buuuut...” Just please don’t criminalize something so culturally significant (that’s especially important for those who look like them because some of our elders can be super harsh). 

That’s that. That’s my talk about durags. Feel free to chime in!

Courtesy of Malikah Upchurch

No comments:

Post a Comment