Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Bumping into my formers...


Saturday morning brought a potpourri of emotions. Working hard all week, I was exhausted physically, emotionally, and mentally. Add to that a 10am funeral for a church member who lived to be 98 years old, a sweet lovely Mother. That was a little emotional. When I returned back to the funeral from a quick trip to the car, I hear, "Mr. Flemming!" It wasn't someone trying to verify whether it was me. It wasn't someone yelling trying to get my attention. It was very matter of fact, almost military. One of the morticians removed his Secret Service-style sunglasses. Julius. A former student of mine from 10 years ago! For the next few moments we'd get all caught up. Him, a mortician and working in discipline at one of our Philly high schools. His old 6th grade English and Social Studies teacher now a high school English teacher at Martin Luther King.

I commented on his still being able to keep a sharp hair cut and kempt appearance, much like he did in 6th grade. He commented on how he heard of my involvement in the "Kelly mold advocacy" situation and his not at all being surprised about whatever role I played. Him, "I said, yup, he'd do something like that! Not surprised."

This latest run in with a former student is the latest in a string of run-ins with former students. Being a teacher at the neighborhood high school into where many Germantown elementary and middle schools feed, including the school where I taught for 10 school years, has reunited me with several former students. Yesterday a young man in a hoodie walked up to me and just stared. I was covering a Biology class and he just approached me. Stopped. Stared. Awkward. Very awkward. But I'm chillin. Not intimated. Not threatened.

"Mr. Flemming?"
"Uh-oh! That means I'm supposed to know you from John B. Kelly [or a summer school site]. Did I have you?"
"Yes."
"Ok, hold on. Gimme a second."
He proceeded to remove his hood. I spit out his first and last name immediately! As with Julius, we spent the next few moments catching up. Me asking about his family, him not believing I'm at King.

A similar situation happened later that very day with a student I didn't have the privilege of teaching while at Kelly, but whose three siblings I taught. The most memorable line of that "getting caught up" conversation? "They said there was another 'Mr. Flemming' who was teachin' here, but I didn't think it was YOU!"

Relationships matter. I strongly believe in establishing and maintaining them. I believe the teacher/student/family/community relationships we build are the bedrock for success in the classroom and beyond. As with any relationship, they won't always be smooth, easy, or the best. That's a fact. But as school personnel, no matter what our title or position in the building, the bond between us and the students and families we serve, matters. Make no mistake about that.

I chose to teach at Martin Luther King High School for a reason. I believe King has something to teach me. I'm learning. How will I apply what I'm learning and when?

Good question.
To be determined...

No comments:

Post a Comment