Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

My Students are Published!!

"Congratulations! Your poem has been selected for publication in the Young American Poetry Digest. Mr. Flemming from John B. Kelly Elementary School submitted your poem which was reviewed and selected for inclusion in our 2017 book."

That's how the letters read that are beginning to arrive in a few of my students' mailboxes! Writing for real audiences has changed me as a teacher of writing and my students as emerging writers! Their efforts should be celebrated! In keeping with my approach to writing instruction, I've adopted the mantra, "We write for audiences, not bulletin boards!" ~Mr. Flemming :-)

While we know folks want to see student work displayed on bulletin boards, we don't write for that purpose! If it goes up there, it has an authentic purpose. You can bet these winning poems will be displayed, however! Congratulations to my students! Success is our only option!

www.youngpoets.org

No comments:

Post a Comment