Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, August 1, 2016

The Unseen Real: 2k16

Let's set the scene

The kid was throwing a violent tantrum, insolently incorporating single-syllable four letter words into a diatribe directed at a staff member who had just rejected his request. What I heard in my ears was louder than this profanity-laced vitriolic tirade, however. What I heard was a kid who was sick of adults making promises they, for whatever reason, did not or could not keep. He said as much. But before he indicated what the real issue was, I heard and saw that there was something deeper than what I was witnessing. So I sat and watched as he did....'him'. Another staff member stood and did the same. Just chilled.

Some teachers would have gone straight to labels, medicine, psychologists, psychiatrists, blah blah blah. After a few minutes, he turned on NBA 2K16 and invited me to play. I just messed up someone's theology with that one right there!! A game?? After what he did and said?? Yes. I cannot discuss it further.

But yes, he said, "Ayo Mr. Flemming play me!" Huh? Who me? Ha!! The last system I touched as Super Nintendo and before that, Atari!! Needless to say, I was a little intimidated. He offered to teach me, though. I sat. We switched roles. The teacher became the student and the student became the teacher. But there was something unseen going on. There was something more real than the obvious; the switching of roles and me learning how to play NBA 2K16 with this 14-year-old master teacher in charge. Unseen though it may have been, real nonetheless. This kid didn't need a diagnosis and subsequent prognosis. He needed calm-osis, listening-ear-osis, strong-older-brotha-osis! Before I left, in less than 15 seconds I encouraged him to "be cool", "chill", and to try not to explode like that again. He understood and in his way consented.

I wonder how many of our Black boys are being pushed through the school-to-prison pipeline because adults are being Tylenol, only looking to address symptoms.

Are you a Tylenol teacher?

No comments:

Post a Comment