Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, January 26, 2015

R.I.P. class pet :-(


I came to work today to discover that our class pet, a Madagascar Hissing Cockroach had died over the weekend. His food was still there and as was a bit cricket juice, but despite his meal still there, Flemming Jr. went on to that great Insectarium in the sky! Check out some of our instagram pics!

In true Flemming-fashion, we made a big to-do about it all! Toward the end of our snow emergency half day, we gathered Flemming Jr to us. We all stood in a circle and took a second to grieve (literally a second). I pulled the largest potted plant we had in the classroom. The students from table 4 dug a hole and buried him. It was Table 4's turn to care for him. Other tables had chances to feed him, clean out old food, etc. This was our final act.

When we return, we'll be making morbid "R.I.P." signs for him, this just after we decorated our fake wall with name tags for him! Last week.
 
R.I.P Flemming Jr.


No comments:

Post a Comment