Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Bubble Students

Recently I was instructed to "not pour [my] time and resources into these (low achieving) kids. They're not going to move. Focus on the movable kids, the ones in the bubble."

Dear World,
Every student with whom I come in contact and who I have the privilege of teaching is in my "bubble." Every student will move forward if I push hard enough! Period! So shame on you school district personnel, principals, teachers, and others who want to just focus on the "bubble" kids! Every child deserves a chance to learn and deserves a high quality educational experience!

I am not a charter school teacher, nor do I embrace the overall charter school philosophy that I will pick and choose with whom I'll work! Students are expelled all the time from charter schools for infractions that real public schools must face and deal with (a challenge I actually welcome).

Personally, I hate it when my students get suspended, in-house or out-of-school. My philosophy? I can't teach you if you're not here! The rapport that I intentionally establish with each and every child is absolutely fundamental to academic success!

So, sorry to bust your "bubble" school district big wigs, curriculum developers, and whoever else doesn't actually teach, but if you are looking for a "yes" man and a "fluffy" type dude-teacher, I "ain't" the one!

Focus on the "bubble" kids only? You got me "chopp'd" psh!

Sincerely,
Flem

No comments:

Post a Comment