Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, December 26, 2020

Our class podcast | "Behind the Eyes of Our Youth"

Just call me the producer or maybe the editor, because they do everything else! I'm speaking of our class podcast, Behind the Eyes of Our Youth. This year, I teach a dual-enrollment communications class, Comm101 as we've come to call it. It's one of two dual enrollment classes offered at Martin Luther King High School here in Philly.

The class is a speech class, per our Harrisburg University partnership. But a 16-week course spread over an entire K-12 school year allows me to take a broader approach to the class. In addition to the speech-related assignments, we have and will discuss journalism, message tailoring, Black-centered public relations, script-writing, social media as a communications tool, and podcasting among other topics.

My role: gather suggestions, put them to a class vote (Google Forms), hit record at least every other Friday, edit, publish, promote--primarily in-house until now.

They do everything else. They chose the name for the podcast and choose the topics to discuss at least bi-weekly. They also choose who will moderate the discussion, including reading aloud classmates' input in the chat.

Check out these snippets from our October - December recordings! You'll never hear my voice as it's all about them, the juniors and seniors at Martin Luther King High School!





No comments:

Post a Comment