Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Almost Had Me in Tears

"Mr. Flemming, I miss your talks," said a former student who caught up with me two years ago. In addition to teaching the academic subjects, I teach life. Before, during, and/or after the lessons, wherever it's most impactful, we'd sit and talk about education and its importance, especially for, in my words, "people who look like you and me." We'd talk about the systemic racism that exists but we wouldn't bemoan it. We'd discuss ways to work hard and knock down anybod---ooops---any obstacle that would stand in our way.

One day last week I was disheartened at the lack of effort on a particular assignment with one of the classes. Because I'd had these very real and heart-to-heart conversations often, instead of me giving any kind of talk,  I asked the students to give "the talk" to each other. One by one, several of them made their way to the front to be "Mr. Flemming." After each student was finished, they "passed the mic" to someone else who was willing. They were all on point, but one student had me and a few classmates almost to the point of tears. Barely above a whisper, this young man started off by asking rhetorical questions, ones to which they could relate; questions that centered on where they want to go and who they want to be "better than." Then this, still barely above a whisper and coming from his heart - "Well, how do you think you'll get there if you don't do your work?"

Silence.
Deafening silence.

He continued to let them know what was necessary to be "better than Curry" and it involved putting their time in in school. He received a raucous ovation. Then one of my "tough" guys, "Man, I almost cried," as he dramatically widened his eyes to keep tears from falling, a gesture I had just demonstrated a day or so earlier. Me to him, "Me too."

Me too, because when you don't think they're paying attention, they are.

Me too, because when I look at them, I see quite a few with a drive and a desire to succeed in spite of the obstacles we're up against. They just need a few strong adults who believe in them, not with lip service, but in deed and in truth. (I also believe in praying for them.)

Me too, because after hearing them talk, and overhearing chatter in the neighborhood and the tweets and DMs that former students send me, one person really can make a difference. I am humbled and honored that I get to wake up every day, albeit somewhat weary, wounded, and worn, and make a difference in a child's life, in an adolescent's life. The kids know real and everyday I try my best to keep in "a hunnit." This is the noblest profession on the face of the planet and being a Black male in this profession, I wouldn't have it any other way! Point blank. Period.


No comments:

Post a Comment