Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

The Unseen Real: The Artist

I've blogged recently about real life teacher/class/student scenarios where there was more going on than what could be seen. I call it the "unseen real," situations where I appeared to be more than a teacher, but a surrogate father or brother or listening ear. These were situations where some change was taking place or some need was being met, all invisible to the natural eye.

Truth be told, many teachers are surrogates of some sort. I, however, can only speak from the place and space where I am, especially as a Black male educator.

The story behind this pic? A young brother was struggling in his classes, behaviorally and in a major way! There were times when his teachers needed a respite and asked if I could provide it. Once or twice turned into about 3 months. It became apparent where some of his problems originated. He struggled academically and the space and pace at which I taught were perfect for what he needed! In addition to having those very 'real' chats I've been known to have, his teachers and I along with another key individual came together and developed a plan for him. I discussed it with him and he was willing to make it work! He responded exceptionally well in the classroom of an older "brotha".

Can you hear the critics? "You're coddling Flem!" "What good does that do? You need to teach him some respect, no matter who it is!!" "You're just giving him what he wants! That's not helping him!"

To the critics I'll give you this much attention. Ready? Wait for it! Here we go! OK that's it. Hashtag #done

The difference was dramatic! He went from being a very foul-mouthed something or another, to be a very respectful, very helpful, very polite, gentleman and everyone noticed! His teachers noticed changes in him so much so that they didn't recognize him anymore....in a good way! It wasn't simple at first, but it happened.

Academically, there were still struggles we were working through, but the rapport was established, the teacher/student relationship and trust were established. We can work from there.

But,
he left the school.

So, the pic? One day I noticed him drawing and asked if he'd drawn the picture above the text of this blog. He had. Pleasantly surprised, I asked if I could have it. He said yes. At this point, I asked him to autograph the back of it, with a note "To Mr. Flemming". He did. Excited, I went back to his teachers and informed them of his talent. We began to incorporate that into the academics. But again, and rather abruptly,  he left the school.

We found out where he was attending. We prayed and hoped he'd continue the growth we saw in him!

Every child has a story. Each child tells it differently. Are you listening or do you just want to write them up?

No comments:

Post a Comment