Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, August 22, 2016

Always be behind? I disagree.

The following is an email I sent in response to a statement made about a {former} student of mine. Only small portions  of the email were redacted, although the information redacted is public information. The redactions do not change the essential message. No person is publicly identified in the email since the purpose was to generate reflective thinking about the students we teach and with whom we work on a daily basis and not to humiliate. This email is several months old, but it's perfect timing as we head back to school. Please forgive any typos/grammatical errors. My thoughts were racing a mile a minute months ago when I sent it. Read. Reflect.

Hello All,
You've seen the emails/texts. Lots going on this week.
Colleague to colleague, I love it when teachers/staff move to make changes within the school! I really do!! Adding a parent piece would be great and I'm sure it'll come in time. I'm hopeful!!

As we are coming together to address the myriad issues around the health/safety/cleanliness of the building, I'd also like for us to look introspectively at how we perceive our students and the great potential that is in each and every one of them, even the ones that tap dance on our nerves!

It matters not that this may not be received well, but from where I stand, not as one who is perfect, but as one who keeps trying and trying to be better than I was yesterday, I feel as though the elephant in the room needs to be identified.

I was recently told that one of my students will "always be behind". I'm trying to leave room for the possibility that such a statement was a slip of the tongue and doesn't represent actual beliefs of any colleague with whom I work. For if the collectively "we", believe that students will "always be behind", then what are we doing? Do we not belief that with extra effort and hard work that they'll eventually catch up? Do we not believe that they are capable of doing "it", whatever "it" may be?

No need for an undergrad reminder on Lev Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development, but I'd urge all of us to rethink how we teach and what we believe about the students in our charge. They cannot rise to low standards. Whether we get support from the office or not, it doesn't matter! Let's do our part to hold our students to high standards of excellence, academics, and behavior.

Providing them with the right level of support, showing genuine interest in them as individuals, complimenting them even when it's hard, you'll be surprised how they'll rise to the occasion! Yes, they'll work a nerve. What relationship are you in where everything is peaches and cream?! Do a PD and I'm there!! These are the dynamics of working with people and not robots! They still deserve a chance, however!

Let's watch what we say and reexamine our beliefs. My Pastor used to say, "the mouth is the meter of the heart." What you believe will come out of your mouth or by your actions.

While it may not be "fair" to bring up issues of race, I'll do it anyway. The make-up of our student body is as follows:
88.2% Black
.9% While
.1% Asian
1.3% Latino
9% Other
https://webapps.philasd.org/school_profile/view/6470

100% of our student body is considered "Economically Disadvantaged"
https://webapps.philasd.org/school_profile/view/6470

If any of us believes that certain students will "always be behind", one could perceive that to be an unfair declaratory statement with racial, classist, and elitist undertones. That perception may be incorrect, true. However, perception, incorrect though it may be, is reality to someone.

Our kids CAN do it! They CAN rise to the occasion! They CAN succeed! They CAN behave! They CAN learn! They CAN do anything they set their minds to do and need a few adults who will not coddle them but will challenge them, providing them with adult guidance, love, and direction all along the way! I don't attribute some of the kids' success to medication, but to the structure, love and support that majority of us provide for them every single day!!

So as we address certain building issues, let's reexamine what we may not know even existed in our minds about what the young scholars of John B. Kelly Elementary School are able to do!

Success is my only option!
Failure is not an option!
In order to be successful, I must work hard!
No excuses!

I see quite a few former students on a daily basis and they still quote this "Flem" mantra. One even said, "Yo Flem, I LIVE by that jawn!!" and proceeded to give me an example of when he wanted to give up on a particular goal. He didn't. He was accepted to collegeS with money to pay for it!!

Don't tell me what's not possible!!

Flem

P.S. If you are offended, please see me and let's chat.


No comments:

Post a Comment