Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, April 25, 2016

3rd Grade Lawyers

These kids are sharp!!!!
Social studies instruction in 207 includes our delving into the Bill of Rights in our overall studies of American History.

It's important to note, I do present a nuanced, or perhaps "comprehensive", version of American History including the hypocrisy of many those who founded this country and the brutal way in which their imperialistic mindset guided their actions. Many of my 3rd graders are able to explain the hypocrisy of the development of the Declaration of Independence and of the Constitution. But I digress...

Today, as at other times, I took events from the news, presented the "case" to them and allowed them to argue both sides of it using the first 10 amendments. They were as exceptional today as they've ever been. We discussed the tire slashings in South Philly and the ballot question on abolishing Philadelphia's Traffic Court. They were on it and I couldn't be more proud!!

Honesty moment: not all kids are engaged, so my challenge is to engage the unengaged as well. I like a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment