Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, April 7, 2016

Young Lawyers, 2015-2016 edition

Every so often I choose to reminisce and wax nostalgic over how impressed I was with my class last year as they argued cases before a municipal judge here in Philly! I wrote about it and think about it often! That day, by far, was one of the greatest moments in my teaching career, going back to pre-public school days, even to the mid-90s as a youth Bible class teacher (which I still do, 21 years this year)!

As a part of my philosophy of challenging young minds, today I made up a case for them to argue before me (before a kid usurped my "Your Honor" status, lol, it's cool though).

Joeline (fake name) likes fishing in the Wissahickon Creek. City Council passed a law banning it. The Mayor signed it. Joeline continues to fish there and eventually makes her way to the courtyard of City Hall to protest. She's arrested and charged with protesting and for continuing to fish in the Wissahickon Creek. She's charged, but doesn't go to trial until two years after the charges were brought. Using the amendments we've learned so far, argue.

For a first go 'round and on the spot, defense counsel did a good job of defending their client, although the prosecution (another student) handed them a dismissal of all charges on a silver platter the more he talked! LOL!! It was funny, but also a great learning experience!!

Note: These are 3rd grade students in a REAL PUBLIC SCHOOL in Philadelphia!!
#ControlTheNarrative

No comments:

Post a Comment