Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, August 7, 2015

How about that Philly school calendar!

If I looked at the school calendar correctly, by the time our first report card conferences come around, we will have only had TWO uninterrupted full weeks with our students. Two full weeks without holidays, half day PDs, full day PDs, this, that, and the third. It's also important to note that it's two full uninterrupted  weeks IF schools in Philly close on Monday, 9/28 which is also being thrown around because of the Papal visit. If we don't close on Monday the 28th, then it will be THREE whole uninterrupted weeks.

Now, we all know that grades aren't due at the time of report card conferences. Hmmmm....

So, let me get this straight. By the time we complete just under one half of the school year, we will not have had more than three full uninterrupted  weeks of school. Then that spring they take a ridiculous test (that I don't care about anyway, but let's say I did) that determines whether I am the one who's effective or not????

Note: These weeks didn't account for acts of God or student absenteeism which reduces it further.

Possible solutions:
(Colleagues, don't throw spit balls at me. I'd be tempted to throw them right back lol)
1. Columbus Day, why are we still off for that?

2. Papal visit on SATURDAY and SUNDAY. We're off that Friday, possibly that Monday and the SRC votes on being out that previous Thurday. For once, plan your street closures and all that jazz around the kids. Too much possible time off!!

3. Truth be told, I'd rather be with my students on those stupid PD days. It's an utter waste of time and not real PD anyway. It's more of a "this is what I want you to do, how I want you to do it, and who gives a flying fart what you think, and oh, I'll be there to observe you, especially if you push back"....session.

No comments:

Post a Comment