Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, August 2, 2015

Baltimore Weekend: Blacks in Wax

This past weekend, I came to the Baltimore area for two purposes. One was to attend a church convocation and the other was to visit some sites significant to African Americans in one way or another. After plans fell through for some of the sites I wanted to see, I decided it wasn't a bad idea at all to revisit The National Great Blacks in Wax Museum.

I had been several times, the last time, (I think) back in 2009 or so with my 6th grade students.

Each time I go, it's a revival of juxtaposed emotions, anger and pride. Anger because of what our ancestors went through at the hands of racist white supremacists (Redundant? Maybe. So what.) AND at the hands of fellow blacks. Reflections of pride because of those who refused to be oppressed in their minds! (Could haul off and go off on a huge tangent there, here in 2015, but not right now). While manacles and torture may have enslaved our ancestors physically, many risked life and limb to free themselves in their mind (attitude) and some, as we all know, even freeing themselves out of their physical condition by escaping northward!

Nothing I post here can capture The National Great Blacks in Wax experience. Nevertheless, here are some pictures that, admittedly (and intentionally) don't do the museum justice. I want you to make this place one of the places you visit and soon!!

Their website - http://www.greatblacksinwax.org/

Below the deck of a slave ship 



Blacks in wax





No comments:

Post a Comment