Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Real lessons

As I sit here and reflect on the day gone by, my mind goes back to our Social Studies period. During the holiday break, my students were to research how different people celebrate Christmas,  Kwanzaa, and Hanukkah. They were not to submit anything, but they were to be able to engage in a conversation, contributing whatever they learned.

At some point during the conversation, I emphasized the necessity of being willing to learn about other people's cultures and traditions. I also emphasized that they should learn this while they're young because there are too many ignorant adults who have closed minds!

We learned that we shouldn't laugh at other people because of the way they may look or speak, but that we should respect the differences among us!

No comments:

Post a Comment