Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, November 6, 2014

Wait, Bottom Dollar is Closing?

Not a typical blog post for me, but a store closing that is new to the Philadelphia market and helps low income wage earners, my brain goes into over drive!

Any one of the nine Bottom Dollar Food grocery stores (in Philadelphia proper) has been a third low cost, food market option for residents here in the city in addition to Save-A-Lot (the most senior of the crew) and Aldi.

I just learned that all of their stores in Pennsylvania were sold to Aldi (yes the ones whose workers sit down to ring up your groceries and whose registers are compact, both differences from traditional markets that seem to add to the time it takes to check out said groceries).

The latest Bottom Dollar Food store to open in Philadelphia was just a year ago, in Germantown.

Random thoughts:
The lack of details has me concerned. Will Aldi reopen each store as an Aldi? Will Aldi rehire those who will be laid off and at the same or comparable rate?

Many of my customer service experiences with Aldi were unfavorable; long times, unfriendly cashiers, managers who say things like, "well what do you want me to do?", etc.

The closing of a low cost food purchasing option, which tends to be the preference of low and moderate income earners reeks of profit margins and preferences over true service to the community. But, then too, they are a business and they aren't obliged to remain dedicated to a cause of providing a low cost food option to anyone. They are in it to make money. Silly me!

In related news, read up on where these companies are from!
Speaking of Community, More "Bottom Dollar" info



No comments:

Post a Comment