Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, February 26, 2018

Should Philly Teachers Be Armed?


-->
Unthinkable tragedy has pulled on the heartstrings of this nation…again. My heart goes out to the families of those slain and injured. The slaying of seventeen and the injuring of fourteen others at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida on Valentine’s Day has once again thrown this country into a school safety quagmire. 45 and others have suggested that the permanent solution to this systemic problem is to arm teachers, hyperbolically (no surprise) assuring us that these school “shootings will not happen again”.



I decided to pose the question of arming Philadelphia’s teachers to the followers of my class Instagram account. Let me just point out that I am unaware of any conversations in Philadelphia to arm us. I was just curious to know the first thoughts and opinions of my class Instagram followers.

Those who follow that account are current and former students, including some who are currently in the 6th grade. Followers also include current and former parents and relatives of those students, a few colleagues, community members, and a few in my familial and social circles.

The question was simple




Here are the final results (with votes are still coming in as comments)


The students, parents, and community were evenly split in their opinion, each group of followers voting for and against. I'm opposed, but I tried to pose the question as objectively as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment