Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, September 9, 2017

Why was I surprised?

If you follow my career, tweets, and/or blog posts, you may know that I am continuing my teaching career as an English teacher at Martin Luther King High School here in Philly. I spent the first 10 years of my public school teaching career as an elementary school teacher, spending most of that time as a 6th grade teacher. I have a personal conviction about my teaching at the elementary level in public schools. I set aside my convictions to experience high school.

As the teens and I were making our acquaintances this week, I was curious to know whether or not I was their first Black male teacher. More hands went up in each class than I thought. I don't know why I was surprised. 2% of public school teachers nationwide are Black men. In Philly, it's around 4%. Well, now they have two of us in 9th grade. While we're not a panacea, we bring a different perspective and experience set.

Here's to an adventurous school year! Every teaching and learning experience should be an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment