Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, September 17, 2017

A little note on "research-based"

So, "research-based" huh?
Stick with a particular curriculum because it's that.
Stick with particular processes because they are that.
Stick with a particular teaching model because it's that.
We do it this way with this curriculum using this method because it's that.
Research-based.

While I can and do appreciate the work of researchers, the truth is we can find research for anything we want in order to support our position. I read and respect the work of those who take the time to study the myriad phenomena interwoven in this work and in turn seek to develop materials to aid teachers in our engagement in this work. But even researchers would agree that we must view research critically.

Who funded the research?
What populations of students were selected? Where? Why? How? When?
Who benefits/profits?
Are students exploited, especially students of color?
Were Hassan B. Robinson* or Maria P. Nunez*, students in my classroom, a part of that study?
Etc.
Etc.

Here's my on-the-ground, in-the-classroom perspective; my view from 105:
Whatever helps the students sitting in front of me and on a more personal level, the student with whom I'm working at the moment, that in-the-moment research, that action research, those methods are what this student needs at this moment. It may be the curriculum. Great! But, we cannot be so rigid in our approach that we are afraid to make adjustments so that our students experience success and growth. I say growth because experiencing success isn't enough. Some will lower the standard to make success possible. Pseudo-success and faux-progress aren't what our students deserve. No, no, no! Negative.

Remember, "research" once said the world was flat, that Africans were less intelligent than whites, and that Blacks have a "violence gene". We must be critical thinkers and educators.

*Fictitious names

No comments:

Post a Comment