Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Dinner chat with my aunt and retired teacher

Tonight members of our family got together to send off my cousin who will be moving down South. My cousin has been such an ardent force in the elevation of the conversation and perception of our young brothers of color, our Young Kings. A mother of two sons and an aunt, cousin, and mother-figure to many, her love, generosity and advocacy for young Black men and boys is unmatched! So tonight, it was her night! I'll miss her in this area, dearly, but I'm confident she'll make great strides and have a positive impact on our young kings wherever she goes!

Her mother, my aunt, is a retired Philadelphia public school teacher. To say she's "retired" is certainly a misnomer, as she finds areas, children, organizations, and just people in general, with whom she'll work; all in the name of teaching, learning, and advocacy! I've heard it said that when teachers get together it really is quite the experience. Where's the lie?

Anyone who knows me personally, knows that I love to sit and learn under more experienced (and caring, loving, and beautiful) 'others'. My aunt is certainly one. As we sat and talked over her house salad and sweet potato and my parmesan herb crusted chicken and mashed potatoes, one line of the conversation resonated with me.

"They've got to love our children! If they don't, it won't work!"

This came up as our conversation oscillated between newer, younger teachers entering the profession, principals who are about the same age, the relationships we form with our respective students, and the importance of family and community engagement.

We salute the new teachers entering the classroom. We urge all principals to be teachers. Let that be the very essence of who you are. In September, we'll welcome our students back to school! And we look forward to working with the parents, families, and communities of which we're a part!

No comments:

Post a Comment