Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Friday, March 3, 2017

Mutiny in the Classroom

Maybe 'mutiny' is a bit strong. This past week I wanted my students to view and discuss SELMA. Upon viewing it again last weekend in preparation for a discussion, the "I-don't-feel-like-a-fight-with-higher-ups" part of me thought I'd better not, namely because of the f-bombs and sh-bombs, *not* because of the content.

When I mentioned what I had intended to do with one of my classes, they rose up in opposition to my having changed my mind! Actually it went more like this.

I'm explaining to one of my classes why the classes won't see SELMA in school.

Kid interrupts, yells out, "We don't care about the language!!" Loud chorus of "yeah"s from those who agreed! Same kid then turned around and said something to the effect of, "Who still wanna see it, raise ya hand!!" AND THEY DID!! The whole class!!!

I said,"Hold on a second!!" Not angrily at all, just intrigued at this little leader rising up! My look said, "Ohhh, so that's how it's gone be?" Lately I've been teaching them that their voice and writing can get results! I guess he was applying what he learned. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment