Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Why I'm Not Going to Work on August 31st!


In mid-July the school district, by way of administrators, sent an email to school employees informing us that September 1st and 2nd (the first two official days back for staff) would be days for professional development (PD) for new curriculum materials. Oh, and by the way, those two days of PD are off site. We’re not reporting to our home base, to our regular school buildings.

That left one day, Tuesday, September 6th, for teachers to prepare our classrooms for the new school year, and no time to meet with our building principals and assistant principals about rosters, school year protocols, opening day events, etc.

The email reads in part:

We know that school staffs need time to conduct school-based professional development, goal setting and team building.  Therefore, we are providing an optional professional development day on 
August 31st for principals to work with their school-based staff at their local school sites. School-based staff will be paid at their daily rate.  Although we hope that those who need this time will take advantage of the opportunity, your participation in this day is optional. 

Although the money is tempting and I could use it (since we haven’t seen a raise since, 2012 or 2013, somewhere around there), I’m not attending for the following reasons:

1.  Every chance he gets a particular member of the School Reform Commission (SRC) takes the opportunity to excoriate teachers for not sharing in some burden and making sacrifices on behalf of the students in our care. I discussed that a few summers ago. But that same person and others on the SRC have been rude, crass, and have wasted countless resources in court in an attempt, albeit failed, to further chastise the teachers, which negatively impacts the very children for whom he and others claim to be champions! No, I’m not going in on the 31st for PD!!

2.  In December of 2015, the SRC voted to adopt the calendar for school year 2016-2017. They had plenty of time to propose whatever adjustments they thought were necessary before mid-July came around! I don’t feel as though I should have to report back a single day earlier because of the poor planning on the part of the SRC and this district! No, I’m not going in on the 31st for PD!!

3. Some, not all, administrators across this district have created such hostile work environments that teachers and staff are stressed out beyond measure and it takes every bit of the summer to bring that very real stress down! No, I’m not going in on the 31st for PD!!

4.  Instead of encouraging teachers to go in for PD, why not meet with the negotiating team of the PFT and negotiate a fair contract??!! No, I’m not going in on the 31st!!

5.  The money used for operations on the 31st, could perhaps be used to ensure buildings don’t reek of urine first thing in the morning or on hallways and stairwells that don’t get swept on a daily basis, or on bright, attractive, warm, and welcoming school environments!! No, I’m not going in on the 31st!!

Big ups to any principals out there who pushed back against the insane idea this district came up with to have the first two days back be off site PD days! I don’t know who you are, but we really could use more who will push back against the insanity! Rolling over without a fight is not a strategy for success!

Now it’s up to the district and principals to figure out a way to disseminate any pertinent information to staff who have every right to enjoy their final day of summer!

I’m sure I’ll go back before the 6th to set up my classroom (or not) but it won’t be the 31st, I can tell you that much!


No comments:

Post a Comment