Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, August 18, 2016

A Parking Epiphany!

(As seen on pinterest...)


A "Two weeks ago..." experience...

A few minutes ago I parked my car.
.
.
.
.
Big whoop!! lol

Except that, it was on a city block and between two other cars, with cars on both sides of the street. Because I'm a seasoned driver, I knew there were certain maneuvers I had to make considering the space on either side of my car so as not to side swipe the cars on the either side of the street.
.
.
.
.
Flem, what's your point? There are certain ways of thinking and ways of knowing that come with being seasoned. The idea that some education DE-formers endorse either in word or in 501(c)3 formation, that certified seasoned educators are dead weight, is a dangerous, reckless a fallacious narrative.

What if the world were full of 16-year-old drivers?? In 2016?? With all that we have?? Phones?? Social media?? #iShudder

What if all physicians were interns? No residents. No attendings. All interns.

What if all plumbers, electricians, and carpenters were apprentices? No master plumbers. No master electricians or carpenters. No master barbers. WHOAA!!!! I gots to have a barber that knows wassup!! (ahem...'what's up')

They're new, these teenage drivers, interns, and apprentices. There's nothing wrong with that. But new must be developed. As with teen drivers, interns, or apprentices, you get better (in theory) with practice. The longer you stay with and really work at it, one should improve. How is it that this is OK for nearly every other profession on the planet, but the narrative towards veteran teachers is different?

When schools have a healthy mix of novice and veteran teachers, I'd like to believe that some natural collaboration and growth will occur for both the novice and the veteran. The novice can teach the veteran what the "latest" is in technology, apps, and research while the veteran can help situate these "latests" within the context of sound pedagogical principles and practice.

To think I got all of that while parking my car!


No comments:

Post a Comment