Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, April 28, 2016

"You know he wants to be a teacher right?"

Whenever I hear of young black men or boys wanting to go into teaching, I'm ready to leap from the tallest new construction site in University City (insert 'smirk') and fly!

Today, as I was explaining our studies in the Constitution, to a guardian, she paused to say, "You know he wants to be a teacher, right?"  Well, back to my intro! Whenever I hear of young black men or boys wanting to go into teaching, I'm ready to leap high up into the sky!! YES!!!!

In a profession that is mostly white and mostly female and where the students are mostly black and brown in urban areas, we need to mix things up a bit!! There are all kinds of stats and research that I want to insert here, but 2%. 2%!! That represents the percentage of black male public school teachers in the United States. 2%.

Back to my student. He has DREAMS of becoming a teacher that include land and lots of it, a museum on campus and an arts academy on campus (no surprise since he loves to draw and does well too)!! Oh and by the way, he's in the 3rd grade! Reminds me of a kid my parents speak of who saw summer as a COMPLETE waste of time! He wanted to bring the kids in off of the streets and engage their minds in reading, arithmetic, and the arts! Summer? Play? Huh?? He went on the be the founding director of the Abundant Life Summer Academy at his church at age 13. A kid with dreams!

Many say that they would discourage young folks from teaching should they express the desire! Me? I say, LET'S GO!!!

In the words of Malcolm Little,
"Education is the passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today!"

No comments:

Post a Comment