Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, February 11, 2016

The Importance of The "Pause"

Sometimes I work my own nerves! If we all are honest, I'm sure you could say the same thing.
"Why did I do that?" "I hate the fact that I'm this way!" "Something TOLD me to do such-n-such, but did I? NOOOOOO!!!"

There are also times when I pat myself on the back and say things like, "I'm so glad I ________!"

One thing that I can say about myself is that I love learning. I love to see my growth as an educator. I'm in my 9th year in public schools, but every year I yearn, learn, and love to grow!

One thing I've learned is to simply.......pause.
I pause when I feel I'm getting angry with my students, collect my thoughts and reflect on whether or not there was something I could have done better. Sometimes it's me. Sometimes it's them. But the pause gives me time to quickly ascertain. I'm still growing and don't mean to suggest that I pause all day, every day. But I am learning and growing.

I'm also becoming really patient when my students and I are engaged in some deep discussion. These are discussions that involve them unpacking some truths about the literature, science, history or some concept, regardless of the subject. To see their little lights brighten because I paused, that makes me and them very happy!

They'll tell you that every so often I'll just stop after saying something. Somebody will whisper, "he's letting it sink in!" And that's the company line, "Boys and girls, I'm letting it sink in." And. We. Wait. We. Pause.

The room grows still.
Their thoughts and reflections racing a mile a minute.
You can see it on their faces!

This can be a lesson for all of us. I'll even say it to the kids, "push pause!"

Just stop.
Think.
Let it sink in.
Be patient.
Take a chill pill.
We're not in a rush to go no where! (In my finest vernacular)
Woooo saaaaa!!
Pause.

No comments:

Post a Comment