Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Monday, June 22, 2015

My mom, the MBA and a question for #phled

Yesterday, in-between Father's Day events,  I asked my mother more information about the Philadelphia public schools she attended. I already knew she attended Pastorious Elementary in Germantown (not a true public school anymore) and I *thought* Northeast High School for at least a year.

At some point during the discussion she and my youngest sister asked some very objective questions about charter schools. Despite my predilection for true public schools and what they've accomplished and the great potential for improvements that are needed, I gave an objective answer about what they are, how they formed, and how they've departed from that original vision over time.

When discussing Philadelphia specifically, she being a very thoughtful person, an accountant, and MBA she asked, "Who thought it was a good idea to take 1/3 of my "household budget" (reference to Philadelphia's charters eating ~1/3 of the district's operating budget) to "make improvements" and think that it was ok? Does Philadelphia (schools) have extra money that you can afford to do that?" There were several follow-up questions about our financial solvency and the financial impact of the existence of these pseudo-public schools.

Maybe my mom should be Chief Financial Officer, yes?
(No! Never mind, because if this heaven-forsaken district comes at my mom the wrong way, I'm telling you there'd be all kinds and shapes of problems!! When it comes to my family, all "sense" goes out the window!!)

By the way, she was bussed to Solis-Cohen Elementary and Woodrow Wilson Junior High after Pastorious. She also attended Wagner Junior High for a quick second somewhere in there as well. She's a product of Philadelphia's public school system, a Temple University and Eastern University grad, an MBA and working for a worldwide quasi-government agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment