Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The ((((BIG)))) Reveal!!

Since the fall, the 3rd grade students of room 207 at John B. Kelly Elementary School (my kids, ha..duhh lol) have been exchanging correspondences with the 3rd grade students of Mr. Shankle's 3rd grade class at Meadow Point Elementary School in Aurora, Colorado!!

On average, twice a month, we would write each other. And on average, twice a month the students in both classes would anxiously await a big brown envelope with their teacher's name on it.

Today was the day that the students finally got the chance to meet face to face with their pen pals. No, we didn't travel to Colorado (what a field trip that would've been). And no, they didn't make their way to Philadelphia. We harnessed the power of technology and the internet to converse via Google Hangout!


The experience was a great one overall, with each child getting the opportunity to speak for a few seconds with his/her pen pal. The combination of excitement and nervousness may have been too much for some of them as their often active mouths suddenly became mute!! lol It's OK.

They all shared the same sentiments; that it was nice to write letters to each other all year, that it was a pleasure to meet them, and all of them ended with a quick discussion of summer plans. It really was nice. (Next year I'll have to plan what the other children will do while the others are meeting their pen pals...the teachers out there can understand what I'm *not* saying aloud)

Aside from reverting back to a fun, old school method of communicating (which, by the way, included both teachers hand writing letters---a challenge for me for sure--), both of us noticed changes in our students' writing. Changes that may not have come without this pen pal experience!

I urge you, go old school with your students! Write a letter or two and send it! (Maybe next year, it's almost summer and to be honest, it's about time! For me it's not the kids or colleagues from whom I need a break, it's....nevermind)

I was informed later that there was news coverage of the event on my colleague's end! Denver's NBC affiliate covered the story!


No comments:

Post a Comment