Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Principals must be...

Here's a random Saturday thought for you, I'm opposed to "quickie" principals, principals that haven't spent but a half a second in the classroom and now are in roles where they are instructional leaders and set the tone and course for the entire building! What do you know?

Principals must be instructional leaders. To become a great TEACHER it takes years of teaching, trying, failing, and trying again, a willingness to learn and collaborate, a solid foundation of at least undergraduate coursework, etc. But fast track to be the "boss"? Nope.

If you are 20-anything and are a school principal, it's highly unlikely that you spent at least 10 years teaching (which is what I think the minimum should be). I know it's unrealistic because outsiders have beat up so much on teachers, that some cannot take another bruise and would rather be the ones doing some of the bruising. Self-preservation, I get it (or nah?).

I may be provincial in my thinking and may be limiting myself to become an even better educator, but I'm also honest. If I ever have to answer to a principal who hasn't taught but maybe a year or two, or even three, take a seat in the back of the class and learn something.

At 8 years in, I'm still learning and am enjoying it! I couldn't imagine having three years in and then become a teacher-leader or principal. Credibility lost!! Go brush your baby teeth.


No comments:

Post a Comment