Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, February 1, 2015

Black History Month

Welcome to February! The purpose of this post is not to debate the myriad issues surrounding Black History Month, but rather to take the time to celebrate African Americans who are near and dear to me for one reason or another.

This first post of the month is dedicated to my parents, Stephen and Jackie Flemming. There are formative figures that have trailblazed and paved the way for our people as a whole, but without my parents, *I* wouldn't be here! (Neither would my four siblings...lol)

We weren't raised with silver spoons in our mouths and there were, undoubtedly, struggles at times to provide for us, but that they did, provide! My mother is an accountant by profession and my father worked for the Philadelphia Electric Company for many years. They tried to send us to private schools a few times, but very early on settled on public education and were determined to make sure we received a quality education!

We were born and raised in a very conservative household. They taught us to revere and respect the very character of God, to serve and trust Him with all of our heart, mind, body, and soul! Our Christian heritage still drives each of us today, not only as people of God, dedicated to prayer, the reading and studying of the Bible, and serving in multiple ministries in the church, but also in our service to others outside of the four walls of the church building.

Even though my parents currently reside in the South, I'm grateful for modern day technology that helps keep us connected!!

So, on this first day of Black History Month, I salute and celebrate my parents! Our family has a rich history and I am appreciative to my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ for allowing me to born to such great and wonderful people!!! I love you dad and mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment