Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, January 10, 2015

That "Public/Private" article...

I could sit here analyze the content of Jeremy Nowak's piece, What Do We Mean By Public and Private Today in the Philadelphia Citizen. I could type endlessly about the comparison of our schools where actual children are taught and cared for, to a few of the city's parks....downtown. But I won't.

I could discuss the major contrasts that exist between parks and people, but I won't.

I could discuss what I think a productive public/private partnership would look like. But again...I won't.

I want to do a little word count exercise instead.
The word "public" was mentioned approximately 16x.
The word "schools" was mentioned about 18x.
The word "fund(ed)" was mentioned about 1x (and referred to charter schools when mentioned).
"Children" was mentioned about 2x.
"Students" about 1x.
"Young people" about 1x.
"Teachers" about 1x

Flemming, you're being silly. You're missing the point!! Just stop! You're making yourself look dumb! The "author's purpose" wasn't to discuss students and teachers and the funding of public schools!

The "author's purpose" was...

No comments:

Post a Comment