Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Initial thoughts on "Annie" (Don't read this if you didn't see it)

WARNING
Don't read this if you didn't see it and want to. I spoil stuff...

So, it's nearly 12:45am, Friday into Saturday morning and I'm just getting in from seeing the new "Annie" movie.

First thoughts:
1.  Enjoyed it.
2.  Liked the modern elements in it - not just Will's home, but the use of social media to find Annie
3.  Not sure what the term/concept is, but didn't really like how the lip syncing was infused. However it was edited, it sounded "too studio" (whatever the concept/terminology is)
4.  Was glad the conflict of Annie's illiteracy was resolved. I watched carefully for that resolution. I must say, the public school advocacy in me thought that they were going to put a "public school is inferior to charter school" twist to it.

Of course this movie didn't come without its controversies!
Read about it yourself - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/12/31/target-annie-ads_n_6400642.html

My initial thoughts on that? For this new "Annie" movie, starring a young African American female, I would have liked to see a young African American female model the apparel. Period. No question.

I'm sure I have more thoughts on "Annie", but those are my first thoughts!
Good Night!

A "P.S." thought - I Googled "Annie" to look for some pics. Now I don't know a lot, but I do know there is a way to manipulate which images appear first. Despite the new movie's release, the images from the 1982 Annie still appear first. Just an observation.


No comments:

Post a Comment