Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Back to the classroom and #WorthIt

Welp, it's official, bed time tonight means the official end to winter break. {sigh}

Had a few fun and funny moments on twitter about our imminent return to the classroom. In all reality, real teachers love teaching and sorta kinda don't mind going back to work. This is our life's service.

What makes it difficult most times are:

the unfortunate and detrimental roles that politics play (underfunding, lack of adequate resources, over emphasis on testing, etc.),

incompetent leadership at the district and building levels (and in the words of my Pastor, "I'm not talkin' 'bout you, less'n it's you")

the back drop of continued strained race relations (overt and otherwise) in this country

ETC

While I jest about going back, there are several moments that make it all worth it! When my 3rd graders intimidate 4th and 5th graders with math facts and older kids don't want to compete with my kiddos! #WorthIt

When I listen almost daily to my little presidential historian rant and rave about Kennedy! #WorthIt

When I see a group of girls gather on the carpet to read to each other, "teacher-style"! #WorthIt

When a kid writes a "thank you" note to me often, now that she knows how to write a friendly letter! #WorthIt

When a kid writes to entomologists, thanking them for video chatting with us and includes that he thinks I was happy and that he'll do anything to see me happy!  #WorthIt

When they can't stand the house phone ringing because it interrupts their learning!  #WorthIt

When they get on each other for not being prepared or for being absent! #WorthIt

When I see the smile on their faces when we had our own little "Boston Tea Party" or "Annual Read In" or when we enjoyed meatballs while reading Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs! #WorthIt

It makes going back to the classroom in my very public school all #WorthIt!! It also makes fighting for them all #WorthIt too, no matter who the heck it is I have to fight! Those faces, their future, their real learning, it's all #WorthIt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment