Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Thursday, January 22, 2015

3rd Grade Historian

I'm learning them! My third graders. I'm learning them. Having taught for a little while, I can pick up certain things about kids right away and other things require much more observation and conversation. I learned early on that I have a kid who loves history and the presidents in particular! I call him our Resident Presidential Historian!
After the children spend some time reading silently (works of their choice), I give them time to converse about what they chose to read. This is a daily occurrence. The kid I'm referencing is almost always discussing some presidential "thing" with his classmates. I normally sit on my perch somewhere, out of the kids' way and listen in on conversations from a distance.

Today, however, I called him over and just wanted to chat with my future PhD in History 3rd grader. I asked him how many presidents names he knew. He said he didn't know and just started spewing off names. John Kennedy (his favorite), Calvin Coolidge, William Taft, John Adams, Thomas Jefferson, Lyndon B.  Johnson,  etc. Impressive!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment