Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Saturday, November 1, 2014

Wrong or nah?

The directions were to identify the place of each underlined digit, whether ones, tens, or hundreds--review. We learned during our course work so far what the numbers actually mean, that each digit has a value.

Example - 582, 500 + 80 + 2 and all of that.

So, while everyone else understood the instructions and completed the review as instructed, I came across this paper and smiled. Her classmates chose to use the labels "ones", "tens", and "hundreds" and they are correct, but she understood the instructions differently and tapped into those higher order brain parts and decided to demonstrate the actual place value and not place title. Love it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment