Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Good Question!!!

Yesterday during our math class, I was reviewing place value with my kids. Our "Do Now"s are quick reviews of concepts previously taught. While working, one of the kids asked, "Mr. Flemming, is there anything on the other side of the ones?" Coming from a 3rd grader, this question made me light up with excitement. True inquiry! I walked through that door and quickly drew a diagram in his math notebook that included a decimal point and labels on numerals as tenths, hundredths, and thousandths. I further explained that he'll begin to work with those numbers in the future!

Robert Meehan, whose educational, teacher, and student quotes of inspiration, often calm me down when I need calming after a twitter war of words, tweets out a quote about student questions! The quote in essence speaks of the measure of teaching and learning not being found in the questions that a teacher can spew out, the answers to which a student may regurgitate, but in the types of questions the KIDS ask!

When that 3rd grader asked me whether or not there was "anything" on the other side of the ones, my inner teacher leaped with excitement at the brain action that was going on!

No comments:

Post a Comment