Some call me "Flem"

My photo
I'm an elementary school teacher turned high school English teacher, School-Based Teacher Leader (SBTL), and adjunct professor here in Philly. These posts are the views, as I see them, from room 105, my first classroom number. Enjoy, engage, and share!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

3rd grade debate -- Topic: Luck!

Reflecting on yesterdays literacy block...

We read an interesting Chinese folk tale on a kid's lucky walk home from school. After the traditional questioning, conversing, etc. I decided to hold an impromptu debate on the idea of "luck". I thought this would be interesting since I came from middle grades ELA classes, where "deep"debates and discussions (of the NON-Common Core variety, since I could care less what governors want) were the order of many days!

First I asked them whether "luck" was real. They were to discuss their positions with whomever they wished in the classroom. I allowed the discussions to go for about 5 minutes as I sat on my perch (or book case), listening to each conversation, reading lips, honing in, zoning out others, and the such.

Once the conversations ended I asked the class to first put their thumbs up if they believed luck was real.  Many of them held that position. I then asked for a show of thumbs from those who didn't believe luck was real. Two bold students!

The reasons for believing in luck were based on their individual experiences. I don't know why I didn't see it coming, but I guess that should be expected from 3rd graders. None of their reasons was general enough to explain this abstract (and debatable) concept of "luck". That's perfectly fine and I wasn't disappointed. It's 3rd grade! (Can you hear me you Common Core folks, IT'S 3RD GRADE! SHEESH!) I did value each of their responses and indicated so as they shared!

The two who were bold enough to go against the grain, *did* offer more "concrete" support for their argument. "Somebody was probably running and dropped the dollar" "Mr. Flemming, the dog was already sleep. That wasn't luck."

The discussion continued with more follow up questions and to gauge how they would respond if someone attempted to counter their arguments! It was very interesting and different being on the primary grades side of such debates and discussions!

No comments:

Post a Comment